19 week Bernese male ALWAYS wants to eat

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by TSMOM69, Nov 3, 2017.

1. TSMOM69

TSMOM69 New Member

hello! I'm a new Bernese "mother" have had other dogs but 1st Bernese. I'm following the recommended feeding amount/schedule and he still will sit by his bowl wanting more food ALL the time! Is this normal? Vet says he's right weight....

2. Berner love

Berner love New Member

Is your dog a puppy? My 3mo old is eating twice a day free feed and after 5 to 10 minuets food removed, this was my breeders advise and she been working with Berners for over 15 yrs. I will continue feeding Truman unless she advises otherwise. He will leave little in bowl and appears to be at a good weight.

3. JoJoKK

JoJoKK New Member

From what my puppy trainer told us, berners are VERY motivated by food. You could leave the dog food bag open and he would try and gobble it all up. So apparently this is normal behaviour for this type of breed.
    Ours is the same, he is about 10 months now and he will eat almost anything (including his tumbleweeds of fur the vacuum hasn't gotten to yet). We make our own sweet potato chews for a small snack in between meals, but still make sure to stick to rigid feeding in terms of volume.

Allegedly it's not that the puppy is still hungry, just that he wants more.