6 month old weight

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog General Discussion' started by Kaleena, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Kaleena

Kaleena New Member

Hi fellow berner owners! I have a beautiful berner pup named Lassen. He is the love of I my life. I had a question about his weight. He is 6 months and a week old and is 65 pounds. His dad was 135 and his mom was 110. He was only 12 pounds when we got him at 8 weeks. I'm thinking he's a little on the small side. My questions is, do they grow much more after 6 months. He's short and stocky. Very active and loves his food! Thanks in advance for any input!!

2. bernermom

bernermom Administrator Staff Member

I would say he could easily double his weight. lol He is still just a baby and will probably keep growing until he is about 18 months or even 2 years old. So don't get too comfortable with a medium size dog. Sounds like he will be a big boy:)

3. Kaleena

Kaleena New Member

Thank you for your response! I'm glad to know that he has lots of growing to do still! I would love him just as much if he was a little guy, but glad to know he may double his weight!! I have a golden and I don't think she grew much after 6 months!:)

4. will47

will47 New Member

Ours is 6.5 mos and only 44 lb (tho may be because he's had Giardia). Check out the growth chart thread, which has lots of detailed growth charts for
    Berner puppies.

5. Sierra's Mom

Sierra's Mom New Member

My 6 month old Berner boy has had Giarda as well (took 3x to get it out of his system) and only weighs 45 lbs. I'm worried about his weight as well and am hoping, now that he's ok, that he'll start to pack on the pounds. Do you know if pups can make that weight up once they are better?

6. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

They can one thing that is nice about Berners is that they can grow until 3. He has a genetically given weight as long as his is getting all the correct nutrition that a pup needs he should grow to his genetically given weight. Talk to your vet about giving him puppy vitamins since he was sick with a parasite.