Berner puppy limp/not as playful

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rusty1725, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Rusty1725

Rusty1725 New Member

Hi all,

I am a first time berner parent. My male berner puppy Rusty is almost 6 months. He was extremely playful and lively when we first got him but in the last two weeks he has developed a limp and is trying to keep weight off his hind legs. He moves very slowly and prefers laying down. Our vet has performed X-rays and has leared him for any signs of dysplasia but has instead attributed this to growing pains. However, we are bringing him in for a second opinion. Has anyone experienced this with their berners? He als seems to be on the small side (52 at 5 weeks). Any thoughts are welcome!!

2. Daniel

Daniel New Member

My boy just hit 7 months, @ 65 pounds, and I have never experienced these growing pains as described.
    I would definitely get a second opinion. Your vet should have pressured his back legs/thighs with their hands to see if he reacted in pain to anything.
    It very well could be growing pains, so I'm not trying to cause worry. But a second opinion wouldn't hurt.

3. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

Rusty1725, Rusty's weight at 5 months being 52 pounds is not bad. Sierra, who is extremely big boned for a female weighed 55.8 pounds and she is now 111 pounds. So more then like your boy will be some where between 100 to 120 pounds which is not small for a male Bernese.
    Normally, Vets can not certify you dog for no hip dysplasia until the dog is 24 months old. So since he said he see none now does not mean he couldn't end up with dysplasia later. More then likely he has a pulled muscle which would not show up on the x-ray but would on a MRI or ultrasound, which sounds like your Vet did not do. If a pulled muscle rest over time will fix that problem. If you fell you need a second opinion then yes most certainly find another Vet. I would probably keep the puppy calm for say 5 to 7 days if it appears to be worse or same then see about having an MRI done. Let us know how he is doing.