Bernese Mountain Dog Eats Poop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Melinda Kim, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Melinda Kim

Melinda Kim New Member

Hi guys, I'm new to the community. I got a Bernese Mountain Dog in April and he's 6 months old now. Ever since I got him, he'd ALWAYS eat poop. At first it was his own poop, now he eats my other dogs poop too. I doubt that eating waste from your stomach is any good for your health, and I assume that's the same with dogs. I asked my vet about it and he said to let him eat it because he's trying to make up for the lack of nutrients he needs. But sometimes bugs lay in the poop and fleas and all that and I'm pretty sure that's why he got worms in the first place. I feed him Taste of The Wild Puppy formula food right now, and he has about 3 cups a day. He is about 30-40 pounds. And my vet once gave him these vitamins but I'm pretty sure it was because of calcium deficiency. Either way I really need some tips or advice to get him to stop eating poop. I try my best to keep him away from the poop but he still is able to sneak a grab. Also when I clean my basement if someone makes a mess, I put it in the trashcan and he dug into it and ate it all even with the paper towel and wipes and that was NOT good. He was throwing it up and pooping out wipe towelettes. And my vet just tells me to let him and I'm getting frustrated, honestly wanting to ditch this vet for a new one because I'm starting to think this vet is looney.

2. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Your vet is an absolute moron. I'm no dog expert by any means, but any animal eating any waste from themselves or any other creature is unhealthy.
    And your vet suggesting to let him eat paper towels and towlettes? He's going to get your dog very sick/killed if you continue to listen to him.

I would suggest immediately switching to another veterinarian if at all possible.

Edit: You also might try to upping his food intake, and see if that makes a difference.
    Maybe an extra 1/2 cup per feeding.

My boy is 6 months as well, he eats around 4-4 1/2 cups a day. He's around 60 pounds right now and growing strong. I've been feeding him Science Diet but I believe i'm going to switch to something else because his stools are seemingly way too soft.

3. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

Melinda,
    If my Vet said to me what your Vet said I would walk out and find a new Vet. Your puppy should not be eating poop. Yes, I would say that eating the poop is why your pup has worms. You also said you have another dog. The odds are they both have worms. A lot of parasites will make a dog eat its own poop due to the parasite is taking your dogs nutrition away from it. I would pick up any dog poop right away and supervise the puppy when out side and not let it eat poop. You need to treat the worms and have the other dog checked out for worms. Lots of parasites will also give your dog loose stools. Make sure you are feeding your dog quality dog food. I like Daniel above had Sierra on Science Diet Lamb and rice for one year. She had two stools a day one in the morning and one at night while on it. At one year we switched to Nulo turkey and peas for large breeds. She still only as two stools a day one in the morning and one before we go to bed. I would not switch to adult dog food until one of these two things happen: when you have your dog fixed you should switch to adult food or your female dog goes into heat or the male dog matures.

4. LeonilKyle

LeonilKyle Member

Growing puppies have great need for assorted vitamins and minerals. Is there any of this good stuff in poop? There's bacteria, which is not good for your dog. There's water, which is good for your dog. There is also fiber and perhaps a little carbohydrate, which is not bad for your dog.

5. Nancy Adams

Nancy Adams New Member

That is definitely not normal you probably need food supplements.