Bernese Mountaing Dog Puppy Growth Chart

Discussion in 'First Time Dog Owner and Basic Questions' started by Juliet, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Juliet

Juliet New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have a 9-month old Bernese Mountain Dog puppy and her name is Juliet. She was just 9 lbs, when we got her from the breeder at 8 weeks. She was the smallest puppy in the litter, also the most active according to the breeder:).

I searched the internet for a height/weight chart for a Bernese puppy for several months, but I couldn’t find one. So, I created Juliet’s growth chart and wanted to share it with you. I hope it helps.

Also, I have quick question for you. I know that an average female BMD stands from 23 to 26 inches tall, as per the AKC standard, and it is my understanding that most dogs reach their adult height by 8-10 months. Juliet is 22.5 inches tall now at 9 months. Could you please tell me when your Bernese reached his/her adult height? I am wondering if I should I expect Juliet get any taller? Thanks in advance.

Here is my puppy's chart:

8 weeks: 9 lbs
    9 weeks: 11 lbs
    10 weeks: 14
    11 weeks: 18 lbs
    12 weeks: 21 lbs
    13 weeks: 23 lbs (3 MONTHS)
    14 weeks: 28 lbs
    15 weeks: 30 lbs
    16 weeks: 32 lbs
    17 weeks+ 3 days: 35 lbs (4 MONTHS)
    18 weeks: 38 lbs
    19 weeks: 41 lbs
    20 weeks: 43 lbs
    21 weeks: 46 lbs
    21 weeks + 5 days: 47 lbs (5 MONTHS)
    26 weeks: 56 lbs (6 MONTHS)
    30 weeks: 65 lbs (7 MONTHS)
    35 weeks: 72 lbs (8 MONTHS)
    39 weeks: 76 lbs (9 MONTHS)

UPDATE:
    10 MONTHS: 82 lbs
    11 MONTHS: 85 lbs

She is 24 inches tall now.

UPDATE:
    15 MONTHS: 95 lbs

UPDATE:
    2 years: 98.5 lbs
    2.5 years: 99.5 lbs

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  2. Hildiberner

Hildiberner New Member

Our female is about 24 inches tall and almost 8 months old now. We didn't track her weight like you did but she seems on the same track as far as weight gain from week to week. I'm not positive on where to measure them. Shoulders? Please let me know. This is very interesting information. Thanks for the post.

Juliet likes this.
  3. Juliet

Juliet New Member

Thanks for the reply. 24 inches in tall-perfect! I didn’t track Juliet’s height:(, but I realized that she has not grown in height ever since she was 6 months. So I decided to measure her to see if she is on the track. It is difficult to measure the height of a dog, though. It should be measured from the floor to the withers. I use a measuring tape. Get your puppy stand and make sure that her head is neither pointed up or down, but level. Try to feel a bone on the top that is the withers. Then, measure her from ground to the top of her withers.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Kaiser's Weight Chart

Hi All -

I have been tracking our 5 month old berner pups weight as well and would be happy to share in case others are interested. I should mention he came from a litter of 13 so I am not sure if that played a role in his birth size as the previous litter from the same mom/dad was quite a bit bigger with only 7 pups!

1 Month - 5lbs
    2 Months - 17 lbs
    3 Months - 26 lbs
    4 Months - 42 lbs
    5 Months - 62 lbs

I should also mention that Kaiser has chronic Giardia - he came home from the breeder with it and it has resisted 5 rounds of Panacur and 1 round of Metrodazinole. We were told to stop treating it for now. This could have delayed his 3-4 month growth spurt as he wasn't getting all the nutrients from his food. We believe this may be why he gained so much weight between 4 and 5 months.

Juliet likes this.
  5. Juliet

Juliet New Member

Thanks for posting Kaiser's growth chart. 17 lbs at 2 months is average for a male. My pup came from a litter of 13, too. This is probably why she weighed less than average at 8 weeks.
    Kaiser has gained 16 lbs at 3 months and 20 lbs at 4 months. That's a lot!!! I mean it! The BMDs are supposed to gain about 2-3 lbs a week. So I don't think his 3-4 month growth spurt delayed. He is on the track...even above the average:)
    Thanks again. Good luck with him:)

6. frisssel

frisssel Member

oh my goodness, I had storm in puppy class and we tracted his weight for 8 weeks. I remember him gaining 5-7 lbs in a week, not a month.

there was a big discussion about that gain. yep he grew to fast. keep it slow and easy, better for their bones.

storm is about 30 inches and 110 lbs. now we are trying like mad to get the weight off. you don't want to do this after they have joint issues.

Juliet likes this.
  7. lyndeef

lyndeef New Member

Training a berner for the first time

This is my first post so bear with me. We have an almost 6 month old "Tucker" We have had him for 1 1/2 months and got him from a reputable breeder. We are having a hard time breaking thru his stuborness. He will not come on command if he doesn't want to leave "his area" and is very timid with new places. When trying to get him to walk on his leash he lays down on his back. I've started using treats and he will listen when not on his leash. We would like to take him everywhere with us but he is only happy when outside by one of the doors to the house. I'm afraid he is not getting enough exercise but at the same time he is very mellow. Any suggestions?

Juliet likes this.
  8. Juliet

Juliet New Member

I agree with you that fast gain is not good for their bones and joints.
    Btw, I don't think that the 110 lbs is too much for a 30 inch dog:)

9. Bella2

Bella2 New Member

Hi,

Bella is 2 years old. Here is her growth chart:

2 mos - 14 lbs
    3 mos - 28 lbs
    4 mos - 40 lbs
    6 mos - 62 lbs
    8 mos - 78 lbs
    10 mos - 89 lbs
    1 yr - 92 lbs
    18 mos - 95 lbs
    2 yr - 96 lbs

She was 23.5 inches at shoulders at 1 yr.

Juliet likes this.
  10. Marquis22

Marquis22 New Member

Bauer

Hi guys,

I will be updating this monthly and i will upload some pics as we go.

Bauer is my new Berner, his mom was 90lbs and his dad straight from switzerland 150lbs (not overwait just massive dog).

I will be posting his chart on here and updating it weekly.

Ps we only give him a specific amount of food daily. (what the bag is recommending)

week 11: 25 lbs
    week 12: 30 lbs
    wekk 13: 33 lbs
    week 14: 37 lbs
    week 15: 41 lbs
    week 16: 48 lbs
    week 17: 51 lbs
    week 18: 55 lbs and 22 in at the shoulders
    week 19: 56 lbs
    week 20: 62 lbs
    week 21: 64 lbs
    week 22: 67 lbs
    week 23: 70 lbs
    week 24: 75 lbs
    week 25: 76 lbs
    week 26: 80 lbs
    week 27: 83 lbs
    week 28: 84 lbs
    week 29: 86 lbs

Last edited: May 28, 2013
    Juliet likes this.
  11. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Kaiser Update

Update on Kaiser. He turns 9 Months tomorrow and we weighed him Saturday morning.

6 Months - 72.5 lbs
    7 Months - 85 lbs
    8 Months - 87 lbs (he went on a diet :))
    9 Months - 92.5 lbs

[​IMG]

Juliet likes this.
  12. bernermom

bernermom Administrator Staff Member

What an awesome picture. He is gorgeous !:)

13. Susan

Susan New Member

Oliver's growth

My pup was 11 pounds at 9 weeks, but he was very thin and tested positive for Giardia at the first vet check up less than two days after I picked him up (the breeder who sold him, not HIS breeder, but an intermediary, one who breeds St. Bernards, paid for this visit so I don't think he knew this puppy was so sick since it "passed" the initial pre-sale check-up) . Five treatments and four months later, with a UTI in between, Oliver is now 50 lbs at about 6 months.

9 wks- 11 lbs
    10 wks- 14 lbs
    12 wks- 17 lbs
    16 wks- 24 lbs
    19 wks- 35 lbs
    20. 5 wks- 45 lbs
    21 wks- 47 lbs
    24 wks- 50 lbs

All these were at vet's appointments. His biggest spurt came when his uti was treated, he gained a pound a day for ten days! Now, he has a sore right front leg (and is being treated for it).

I think he caught up to where he would be if he were to grow to be about 100 lbs based on a chart I found for age and current weight for dogs.

Juliet likes this.
  14. Susan

Susan New Member

Kaiser is beautiful and so is his Golden buddy!

15. Marquis22

Marquis22 New Member

Bauer's pic

Bauer.jpg

Juliet likes this.
  16. Susan

Susan New Member

17. SJTT

SJTT Member

Bonney's Size

I think our female Berner is tiny. She is 7 months old, 23 inches tall and 60 lbs. She is currently eating 5 1/2 cups of food a day (Diamond Large Breed Puppy food - no grains,etc.). She gets treats during the day too. She can't seem to get enough food. She isn't overly active - just not big.
    I guess there are some advantages to that too!

Juliet likes this.
  18. Juliet

Juliet New Member

They are adorable!

19. Juliet

Juliet New Member

Thanks for sharing Oliver's growth chart. Sorry to hear that you had to go through health issues with your pup! Oliver and Juliet's growth charts are similar. Juliet weighed 95.2 lbs at vet yesterday (15 months). I thought she would stop growing at 1 year, but she didn't.

20. Susan

Susan New Member

Hi

Someone very kindly posted something about growth charts for me. I got an email with the link back but it doesn't show anything on the screen and I can't find new post on here for it. Thanks whomever you are, but I can see what you wrote.:(