Bernese with interesting eating habit

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog General Discussion' started by summersnowbr, Oct 7, 2016.

1. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

Sierra when she eats her food she always leave 4 kibbles in the bowl. If the next feeding I take away 4 kibbles she will still leave 4 kibbles. So it is not like she is full but for some reason she feels the need to leave 4 kibbles. Do your Bernese have any strange eating habits.

2. Klexi

Klexi Guest

Hi, My Berner doesn't but my GSD did. Before he ate he would take exactly 4 kibbles in his mouth and come drop it in front of us then would go eat his meal. It was the strangest thing and couldn't find any info on the internet about it. As strange as this may sound I like to think he fed us first. One kibble for every member of the pack. I know I might sound crazy but I have found no other info on this. I thought that dog was soooo bright like he actually was able to count one kibble for every pack member, lol Anyways made me happy to think that's what he was doing.
    He would do this before eating but maybe Sierra does this after eating or she is leaving some to make sure she always has food left if hungry.
    Also when Lexi was younger she would leave some in the bowl since the way her bowl was made she had a hard time getting them. When we got new bowls we made sure they were rounded up on the inside sides.
    Lexi's habit after eating is rubbing her nose with her paws and on the floor when she is done. At first I thought it was allergies but no:D After research I found that....
    when done for a short period of time after meals it's actually a way of showing extreme pleasure. They even call it a pleasure ritual.

summersnowbr likes this.
  3. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

Well there is only two of us so I guess she thinks we need more then then your Bernese thought you all needed.

Klexi likes this.
  4. Klexi

Klexi Guest

She is one generous Berner lol