Fall season is ruining my training and shoulder :(

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Training Forum' started by Klexi, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Klexi

Klexi Guest

OK so Lexi is now 5 1/2 months she can probably drag me down the street if she wanted she's soooo strong. She was doing very very well with loose leash walking and also heeling UNTIL.......Fall came along :(:confused:
    I know she is a puppy but I am unable to walk her right now! Because of the Leaves blowing in the wind.
    Leaves in the street is all she focuses on. And ''Leave it'' lol doesn't work since she is in a VERY excited state of mind.
    I make sure she is in a calm state of mind before we leave, and if she gets excited we go back in and back out and well you get the point.
    Anyways she doesn't pull she runs after them without warning which completely pulls my shoulder out:(o_O:confused:
    So I can'T go any furthur than two houses before I have to come back because I do not want her to practice the behavior. It's just aweful.
    I will go back a step on my training but will this get better in time, is it just a crazy puppy over excitement stage that will get better with on going training and how can I walk her if she is soooo out of control. I am really not happy about this , my shouders, back and neck hurt like crazy this morning.
    I know I have to manage the enviornment until my pup is trained but I cannot manage the leaves from falling:(
    She is walked on a regular collar since there is NO WAY I am putting a harness on her as of now. I am looking into getting the easy harness soon.
    I HATE FALL! :mad: I kind of need some encouragement and your experiences with walking your berners at this age.
    Until then I will be TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING.........

2. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

The leaves are what they call a distraction, there can be many of them in a walk. As time goes on I'm sure you will have more. You still need to enforce the "Leave it" and" drop it" command. Sierra loves leaves she loves to put them in her mouth. A dog explores the world through their mouth and nose. I'm constantly saying "leave it" and when I don't see the leaf and she gets one then its "Drop it" she will drop and then look at me like "Oh Mom your no fun!!!" Sierra also likes sticks. I wouldn't mind if she just carried the stick but she has to crush it and eat it. So once again it is "Leave it" or "Drop it". There are times in our walks I stick to the heal command not loose leash. Only because loose leash can catch you off guard if you start to relax. End result could be a sore shoulder. Just remember she is a puppy, just like Sierra and in time those leaves wont look as interesting as something else.

3. Klexi

Klexi Guest

How old is Sierra?

4. summersnowbr

Sierra is 10 months old. I started her out at the heal command not loose leash. After she understood heal we moved to loose leash most trainers today do loose leash first and heal second. Years ago when I had my Great Pry the trainer did heal first then loose leash. There is an advantage to doing heal first the puppy learns right away to be at your side as it matures you can do loose lease but you'll find your dog will mostly stay at your side.

Cleo likes this.
  5. Cleo

Cleo Guest

I had a similar problem when Cleo was young. She is so strong. I had her in a harness and she would just pull me along with amazing strength. Honestly she still does if she is wearing the harness and sees something. I can hardly wait until she is 2 years old to start training her to pull a cart because she is a natural. The problem is, I am not a cart.

Anyway- I switched to the Easy Walk which has a clasp in the front and prevents pulling or taking off. It does not hurt her, but it restricts her from taking-off and encourages loose leash walking. We did all of our training with a trainer in the EasyWalk. The trainer supported and recommended the change.

Here is a link, it is only 18.00 dollars. It's worth a try. Hope it helps. Cleo is 107 pounds now and she wears an XL I am not sure how big your dog is, but I assume she is a Large. Best of Luck. You should be able to get out and enjoy the Fall leaves together with this on day one. Promise. <3

https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Harness-Large-BLACK-SILVER/dp/B0009ZBKG4

Oh. Here is a picture, see the clasp in front...

Cleo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2016
    Klexi likes this.
  6. Klexi

Klexi Guest

Hey Cleo, your pup is gorgeous!
    Funny cause I got the easywalker this morning but here in canada 36.99 plus tx :(
    Did a little walking when she stopped going craaazzzy about the harness:confused:
    She stood right beside me the whole time:D Well almost the whole time which was not very long:)
    I am really encouraged and my arm feels great:D
    She is only 5 1/2 months so Its hard to compete against those beautiful amazing flying leaveso_O
    Thanks for the advice:)

7. Cleo

Cleo Guest

@Klexi - 36.99 <-- Oh my! I am sooo happy she is doing better with the EasyWalk. And I am sure your shoulder appreciates it too. If it is any consolation as she gets older she will calm down.... you are such a conscientious owner, and you seem consistent and loving.... and just like children, this is exactly what they need.

Here is a video of Berner puppy rolling in the leaves. It's a Berner thang. LOL!

Klexi likes this.
  8. summersnowbr

Cleo your Bernese is absolutely beautiful. I'm going to have to figure out how to put Sierra's picture on the web. I'm not computer friendly!!!

Klexi and Cleo like this.
  9. Cleo

Cleo Guest

@summersnowbr, Thank you... I really do love her. Berners are amazing.

I wold love to see Seirra. To add a picture to a post: Click "Reply" and then in the new Reply window click the button on the lower right corner "Upload a File" then select "Choose a File" then select a file from your computer then click "Choose". A new dialog box appears at the bottom of your Reply window that asks if you would like to insert a Thumbnail or Full Image. Make your selection then click "Post Reply" and your beautiful Seirra will be shared. I can hardly wait.

X

summersnowbr likes this.
  10. summersnowbr

Sierra at 10 months old.jpg

11. summersnowbr

Sierra's favorite place to lay during the afternoon because that is the hottest time of the day for us. Normally she is both front legs straight out and back legs straight out so she looks really long. Thank you Cleo for telling me how to do the picture!!

Cleo likes this.
  12. summersnowbr

Sierra is getting annoyed with me, because I'm distributing her beauty sleep.o_O

Attached Files:

13. Cleo

Cleo Guest

@summersnowbr - She is absolutely adorable! I feminine beauty!!!

14. Cleo

Cleo Guest

@summersnowbr Look at you with your, Google Kung Fu skills. :):D:p You find the coolest stuff.

I don't leave the EasyWalk on her all the time. Only when we go for walks in public places... Pets smart, Farmers Markets, ect. During the day she has a standard neck collar on that has a tracker on it, that I have never had to use thank goodness Berners are not runners. At night I take all collars off so her fur does not get all messy and indented. I love the fur on her neck.... so fluffy.

15. Klexi

Klexi Guest

Oh my look at that face! Sierra is BEEEEAUTIFUL!

Cleo likes this.
  16. Klexi

Klexi Guest

UPDATE ON MY $40 easy walk harness :mad::(:confused:
    She was fine the first day but now she is even crazier. Ok so she doesn't chase the leaves anymore she now goes CrAZy :confused:over the harness . Since it attaches at the front she bites and tugs and jumps at the leash. She even manages to get the front loop (the material one) in and around her lower jaw. I actually switched the leash back on her regular collar while on the walk which wasn't really a walk was more like a full circus acto_O
    I don't know what to do anymore:( If there was a crying emojii I would definitely use it!
    She is TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL:confused:
    I now have to sit back and think of a brilliant idea! I think I will put her cage on a wagon and take her for a walk in it lol lol lol
    Just kidding although that would be great for MY patience.

Cleo and summersnowbr like this.
  17. summersnowbr

We actually gave up on the easy walk when she turned 7 months. She figured out all kinds of ways to get it off her. We went back to the harness that the leash attaches on her back. She is maturing more each day walks are getting so much better that I will probably try the easy walk again. See if our little Houdini can escape or just walk like she don't care about it any more. This breed is an interesting breed very creative little ones. Our Great Pyrenees didn't care what collar you had on them they just walked.

Cleo and Klexi like this.
  18. LeonilKyle

LeonilKyle Member