Front legs shaking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by krebant, Sep 22, 2016.

1. krebant

krebant New Member

I have a 5 month old female Berner. Her front legs tremor or shake when she is laying down. We haven't noticed any other concerns and she's an active, healthy puppy. Any ideas on this? Our vet mentioned it was likely growth but also mentioned hypomylenation. Has anyone else seen this in their pups?

2. Lem

Lem New Member

3. Lem

Lem New Member

My male is 2 and his front legs do that as well. I had never heard of hypomylenation until you mentioned it. I will ask our vet about it. I'm curious to know if something like that could effect other behaviors.

4. Klexi

Klexi Guest

I have noticed Lexi doing that too, but only when she is waiting for a release command or waiting for something.
    Either than that when she is laying down on her own will just chillin' her front legs don't shake.
    So in my case I know its she is anxious to get my " ok" to get something.

5. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

6. moondoggie

moondoggie New Member

My male puppy is 10 months old and has done since he was 2 months old. Mostly after running around or playing. I was told most Berners have this cond. hoping they all grow out of it. Your not alone in being concerned .

7. Mowgli

Mowgli New Member

I too have an reacue 4 yr old girl and a 7 month boy and both have the shaking legs...relieved to know others see this too!

8. summersnowbr

Myelin Deficiency does run in the Bernese Mountain Dogs, so please talk to your Vet about their legs shaking. It maybe nothing but it is best to have it confirmed by your Vet.

9. Mowgli

Mowgli New Member

Absolutely! Thank you for your reply!
    Lisa

10. SMCarrier

SMCarrier New Member

I would love to know what this is. My girl Kimber has also had a front shaking leg since the day I brought her home. Always the right front leg when she is not putting any weight on it. Vets don't seem to know what it could be. X-rays show nothing and blood work show nothing.

11. summersnowbr

It could be a Central nervous system problem Here is some symptoms of Central nervous system problem:

• Clinical signs appear within days of birth
    • Body tremors that worsen with activity and decline during rest
    • Symptoms generally improve by one year of age in most breeds, with the exception of springer spaniels and Samoyeds, which are affected for life
    Not sure how old your Berner Girl is but it sounds like it may disappear after a year or at least improve

12. MintFlavor

MintFlavor New Member

I haven't seen mine like that. I hope yours will soon be fine.

13. LeonilKyle

LeonilKyle Member

Good day Lem ! Hypomyelination is a congenital condition caused by insufficient myelin production in the body. A fatty substance that covers the axons (the portions of the nerve cells that transfer impulses to other cells of the body), myelin serves an important function for the nerve cells: as an insulator, protecting the nerve from outside influences, and as an aid for forwarding the process of cellular transmission of nervous system actions. This condition affects the central nervous system (CNS), with related tremors that are most apparent when a dog is active.

14. Lefteris

Lefteris New Member

We noticed also ours was doing that once while he was sitting...now we are keeping an eye if this will be repeated