Grass Burn

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog General Discussion' started by aje196, Sep 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. aje196

aje196 Member

So we've noticed that our 2 year old female Berner has been burning our grass and our common grass in the neighborhood. I've been feeding her Pro Plan Savor, but this is our first bag. Before that she had Nature's Recipe Grain Free. I've seen the grass burn during both bags of food. I don't want to do supplements, but I'd love some recommendations for dry dog food that may help with the grass burn. I've read it may be caused by high protein diet, but I thought that's what is best for her. I don't want to give her a bad food choice just to save my grass, but I don't want to keep seeing the burns all over our neighborhood either! I'm not really interested in a raw diet right now, but if you have a different brand dog food that you could recommend or other non-food advice that might minimize the burning grass issue, that would be awesome!

2. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

What we did is there is part of our yard landscape that is done with gravel and plants. Sierra does all her business there. When we do walks I carry two water bottles for her to drink. I try to let her pee on vacant lots in the neighborhood. But here is a web site that you might find interesting about urine and yellow grass. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=88

3. aje196

aje196 Member

Thanks! We're in a rental that does the landscape for us so we don't have much choice about the yard layout, but that seems to be a really good idea for future homes for us. I think I'll try the water bottles to help rinse the spot for now.