histiocytic sarcoma advice

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Health Questions' started by Melissa Jacob, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Melissa Jacob

Melissa Jacob New Member

Hello All,

I'm new here but hoping to find some help and comfort.

My poor dear berner Basil is 6 next month and beginning last week went off his food and declined rapidly after numerous vet visits. We then sent him onto a specislist hospital who aftet bloods and a cell scan said 99% sure it was histiocytic sarcoma. They wouldbt call it 100% with removing the spleen. He was just so sick and Upon advice of the Dr we put our beautiful boy to sleep on Friday.

I'm sitting here feeling sick that he was just so young and they said this is a common cancer for this breed.

I would love anything to help me stop this sick feeling to hear any other similar experiences. I loved him so much and my heart is just breaking.

2. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. I used to breed Great Pyrenees's, they all died at different ages. It is impossible to tell you how to stop the hurt that you feel for their loss. All I can say is time will heal. We thought we would never own another dog again after the last one died, 7 years latter we have a Berner Sierra, she has filled the void we had lost and is a joy. Time will heal and when it does I hope you can add another dog to your life!

3. Melissa Jacob

Melissa Jacob New Member

Thank you for your reply. I have lost pets before but they were all of an older age. We knew he wouldn't get to a grand old age but i guess we were expecting a little more than 5 1/2 years.

This just came as such a shock to me. It is more comfort in hearing similar stories of other berners to know i am not alone in this.