Male Berners with other male dogs? Advice please.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vick, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Vick

Vick New Member

Hi!
    I have a 13 month old male (neutered) Bernese, and I am debating getting a second dog to keep him company - he loves our cat, but obviously the cat doesn't want to wrestle or play chase with him, and no amount of attention seems to be enough, lol. I feel bad leaving him alone even for an hour or two since he gets so upset not having company.
    We have plenty of space, and I was looking at local shelters for a second dog, preferably a little older and calmer. Ours has never shown any aggression, if anything he's rather submissive (even to the cat), and he's a little shy around other dogs but loves them as long as they aren't overly hyperactive. I think the shyness is just a result of not having been around other dogs too much, since he's been in group training classes he's gotten a lot less nervous.
    I was wondering if gender is a concern? Has anyone had experience with keeping two males (whether the second is a Bernese or not, though I'm only looking at medium-to-large breeds, nothing tiny, and there is an adorable 3 y/o St Bernard I've been eyeing), both neutered, do you think they'd have issues? Obviously I'd take time to have him meet any potential new additions to the family and see how they get along. Anything else I should be accounting for, like age, breed, etc? Puppies are one thing, but I've never brought in a second adult dog to a family with an adolescent already.
    Thanks in advance for any help!