My Berner won't drink

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Joni Lefever, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Joni Lefever

Joni Lefever New Member

Hello All,
    I am writing because my dog has suddenly stopped drinking. I have been to the vet, and he is as baffled as I am. I have read every article and talked to every pet parent who will stand still long enough to listen to me. I am getting desperate. I joined this community hoping other Berner parents could offer me suggestions.

My boy is 8 and half years old and has a dysmyelination disease, but we are managing those symptoms and actually with cortisone shots, he is doing well. The vet thought that surely cortisone shots would surely make him drink....no such luck.

He will eat anything you put in front of him, but he has totally stopped drinking. I give him ice cubes, mixed canned food with water, have tried flavoring his water, tried different bowls, moved the bowls to new locations in the house, bullion cubes, and every other trick in the book with no success. Has anyone ever heard of this? We are going on a week without him drinking from a bowl. All blood work and tests came back normal from the vet.

If anyone has suggestions, I would so appreciate your help.
    Thank you,