New food recommendations.

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Food Forum' started by JettaBean, Aug 14, 2015.

1. JettaBean

JettaBean New Member

Hi there, I have a 14 week old Berner named Jetta, and lately she's been experiencing diarrhea after eating. We took her to the vet last week to get her checked over, and all was well they just gave her some probiotics to help her bowel movements, which helped in a matter of days! She finished her probiotics on Sunday, and continued to have solid bowel movements until yesterday(Thursday) I'm assuming she had solid poops still because the probiotics were still in her system but now that they've all cleared her system she is back to square one. My assumption is that it's related to her food, as it generally only happens after she eats, when all her food is out of her system (mornings, mostly) she seems to be having solid bowl movements once again. She is on Acana Lamb and Okanagan Apple currently, and it was working fine for us until all of this started. It is a low fat and low protein, limited ingredient ADULT (well "all life stages") food, so we've decided to switch her food and try a puppy food (even though they are all riddled with protein) to see if that helps, does anybody have any recommendations on both adult and puppy food to look into?

TIA

2. k1cart

k1cart Member

Sorry this is so brief but I'm typing on my phone. We have gone through a whole mess of foods to find something that works for us too. It's seems many Berners have sensitive tummies!

We have found success feeding the Honest Kitchen. It's a bit pricey but it works so I'm ok with it.

If you can, continue to feed the probiotics and keep searching for a food that works.

If you need more info on what we went through I will totally share when I'm back from vacation!

3. bernermom

bernermom Administrator Staff Member

I would love to hear about the food :) We have been trying to change Emma to something that might help with her allergies. We thought we had something... Zignature. After two days, she literally looked at the food in her bowl, cried, and walked away. Needless to say we went straight to the store and bought her old food again. UGH!!

4. JettaBean

JettaBean New Member

I would love to hear what you went through, it's reassuring to hear that someone may have gone through the same things as us. We go back to the vet tomorrow so I will talk to my vet and see if we can get more probiotics, we bought different food tonight, it's a puppy food this time so hopefully that will help her stomach, even though puppy food is basically just for marketing! I'll keep you guys posted on what happens!

5. Flying_Bear

Flying_Bear New Member

We are in the process of switching our boy's food from Blue Buffalo Freedom to Fromm's Praire Grain Free for Large Breed Puppies (super long name).

So far, he seems to enjoy eating it so much more than before, and have had zero issues with his stool. We don't have a local store that sells it around here so we've been ordering from Chewy. As a side, we also give a couple pumps of salmon oil into his food as well which might help with the taste.

6. Connor D

Connor D New Member

I've found that slowly switching my guys over to raw definitely helped their tummies. One of them was having a lot of stomach issues when he was about 6 months old. I haven't had an issue since we switched because I know it's just meat in the food (don't have to worry so much about allergies). I use Love Your Pet (www.loveyourpetbakery.com) and love their stuff; and more importantly my dogs love it!

7. SueHC

SueHC New Member

Had lots of problems with my Berner having continual urinary track infections. Switched to raw food and the problems disappeared. But then raw food got to be too much of a hassle. Switched to Fromm Grain Free for Large Breed (as another member suggested) and haven't had any problems since. I'm a huge fan now of Fromm. She's been on it for over a year.