Odd toileting pattern

Discussion in 'First Time Dog Owner and Basic Questions' started by Snags, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Snags

Snags New Member

Why is it when you have pets (or children) all you talk about is poo?

We (me and Mrs Snags) have a 7 month old male BMD who appears fine in almost every respect. One or two training issues still to work on, but basically, he's a good little beastie.

However ... he can't sort out his whole poo routine.

We feed him three even meals a day (a mix of kibble and meat) at broadly the same times. Getting up time and bed time are broadly the same day to day. Most days he gets a couple of short-ish walks, usually adding up to a total of between a mile and a mile and a half. He's allowed out in the garden more or less on demand.

Despite all this his bowel movements are hugely irregular. He will always go first thing in the morning, generally producing good quality stools.

After that, it's a lottery. Some days he'll go once or twice more, evenly spaced, fine quality. Other days he just won't poo again, and then the next day he'll do his first stool which will be great, but then go out quickly afterwards and produce a mountain of decidedly Not Great, probably followed by a small puddle of mousse.

It doesn't appear to be dietary - he's on good quality food, and the amount seems about right, and the fact that he produces mostly good stools means it's unlikely to be an allergy etc.

I'm fairly convinced that the main problem is he's too easily distracted, forgets to have a poop before bed time despite being given numerous encouragements, holds on too long, then has something of a purge the next day, clearing the back log, if you'll pardon the phrase.

He has no problems actually doing the deed, so it's not an aversion or discomfort issue.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? As far as I can see our only options are to adjust the amounts of food he gets when (the three meals is to minimise bloat risk, but we could go to two, or to two large and one small in some combo); to change his exercise pattern to encourage an evening movement, or simply never go to bed in case he finally decides to defecate in the middle of the night. That last not being an actual option :)

We need to get him more regular somehow, but I don't really want to just blindly tweak things if I can avoid it.

2. WonderBread

WonderBread New Member

My Berner went thru the same thing when she was younger and it was quite maddening trying to figure out what was causing loose stools after regular ones.

I started giving my dog a spoonful of regular canned pumpkin with every meal and started giving her kefir (for the probiotics) to see if that could help regulate what was going on in her gut. It helped.

I eliminated any commercially made treats and started making my own out of pumpkin and peanut butter for her. That helped too.

It seemed with my dog she had gastro-intestinal issues up until she was just under a year old. She is 2 now and has a "junkyard dog stomach". She can eat pretty much everything and isn't bothered by it. I switch up her food constantly and feed her raw when I find good deals on meat.

If you don't think there is anything else going on with your dog that may be causing issues it might just be his system maturing and hopefully he will grow out of it. Good luck.

One more thing, sometimes if you are over feeding a dog they will purge it out the back end. My dog weighs 100 lbs and gets just under 3 cups a day of kibble (1 1/2 cup in a.m. and 1 1/2 cup in p.m.). Just a thought.

3. Snags

Snags New Member

Thanks WonderBread.

I'm confident it's not over-feeding. We did over-feed him briefly when he was in a growth spurt and we thought we were shortchanging him, and the effects were quite different! Very frequent toilet trips and very, very poor quality output. Also, at present, he's definitely not getting podgy - his ribs are easily felt and he looks sleek and healthy.

He eats pretty much anything with no obvious ill-effects: commercial treats, his regular food, bits of veg when I'm cooking, twigs, leaves, the occasional stone, nappy sacks, garden canes, plant labels ... the latter part of that list being on the 'unapproved' side of things! He's a flipping dustbin :)

Since posting we've changed up his diet slightly and are being a little more active in encouraging him to go at appropriate times of the day, which seems to be helping, although it's early days to be sure. I'm still partly convinced he goes out to poo and gets distracted by something more interesting than a bowel movement, then comes back in having forgotten why he went out!

4. dogspotindia

dogspotindia New Member

I think you should feed him too much. Feeding a dog two times is quite enough for a healthy dog and use some liver supplement for a strong liver. Use some treat if you want to give more diet (little bit amount of treat). http://www.dogspot.in/dog-meaty-treats/

5. Snags

Snags New Member

Thanks dogspotindia

We're definitely not feeding him too much, and number of meals has no bearing on total quantity of food, it's just how much you divide it by and when you give it :)

As I'm capable of simple maths, and it's no bother to us due to patterns of life, we'll be sticking to three smaller meals a day rather than two larger ones given it can help reduce the risk of bloat.

Since the original posting everything has settled down to a fairly regular and good quality pattern, so it must just have been a phase. Still, good to get an early morning poo talk in - have been missing them since Mrs Snags has been away ...

6. dogspotindia

dogspotindia New Member

dog bloat prevantion

Forces the dog to bog down to eat the meal. Add canned pet food to your dog's diet. Most dry pet food contains high levels of grain, that is a lot of doubtless to provide gas in your dog's digestive system. This will cause the abdomen to fill earlier. Food product includes a higher meat content, that is a smaller amount doubtless to lead to gas.

Monitor your dog's water intake. If you offer water twenty four hours daily, your dog is a smaller amount doubtless to gulp once drinking.
    Wait to steer or exercise your dog a minimum of associate degree hour before and when meals.