Territorial Male Bernese, help!

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Training Forum' started by Herbie, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Herbie

Herbie New Member

Hello everyone, I hope you can help me giving suggestions on how to train my Bernese who is a 2 year old (male). He started to show his territorial behaviour around the age of 8 months (barking to house guests). The behaviour is becoming worse recently when a new house helper came. He started to bark and nip her.
    He is super sweet with the rest of family member in the house, but showing aggression towards new people that are going inside the house. He is super sweet to kids as well, and Im really worried that his behaviour will get worse.
    I have tried to train him with dog trainers for awhile, and it has not shown any improvement. I also did the Cesar Millan's way of calm and assertiveness, and its not improving as well! If any Berner owner could give suggestions in how to break this behaviour, it would be great! Thanks in advanced

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. Klexi

Klexi Guest

Hi I am no expert but had the same kind of behavior with my GSD.
    This is what I did.
    NILF (Nothing in life is Free) you can look it up.
    That is the first thing I did. And that's when I started hand feeding my dog. It made all the difference for his focus and as seeing me as his food ressource.

I trained one command the whole time. I chose to teach the place command for this particular behavior. I would feed him doing only the place command over and over and over. Not because he didn't know it but because I wanted this command to become an automatic response regardless what was going on around him. I NEVER PRACTICED IT IF I KNEW HE WOULDN'T DO IT FOR EXAMPLE IF WE HAD VISITORS OVER. Then gradually would add distractions. I would then add a visitor come in the entrance and out just for a couple seconds. And so on. The thing is behavior modification takes time, but it works wonders. Little steps at a time for sure.
    I see it this way. If I was post traumatic about something and would see a professional for it, It would take time and I would also need baby steps to get over it.
    I also wouldn't make him get the chance to rehearse the unwanted behavior in the meantime.
    Just to encourage you, a week after I started working with my dog I had a fridge delivered and before I even answered the door I gave him the place command. I then let both men come in and set up the fridge while I stood beside the dog (in his place command) and would give him treats whenever he just looked at me.
    25 mins later they left and I released him from the command and I was really proud of both of us.
    I stood by him the whole time because I seized the opportunity to train him but made sure I set him up for success.
    The results were amazing after a month and a half for me. But the time frame depends from dog to dog and how long they have been practicing the behavior.
    Don't give up and good luck! Remember YOU are boss of your home NOT HIM;)

3. Herbie

Herbie New Member

Thank you so much for your suggestion! I will try this method for sure. When you are training your dog, do you use leash as well to control your dog?

4. Klexi

Klexi Guest

5. Herbie

Herbie New Member

6. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

I have a question for you is he neutered?

7. Herbie

Herbie New Member

Yes he was neutered.

8. summersnowbr

Here is one more question what obedience training has he had? Is your dog allowed on sofa, bed, etc.?

9. Herbie

Herbie New Member

Although he is not allowed on sofas and beds, he tends to barged in on the family sofa. He had his basic obedience training, but I dont think I was firm enough and too lenient to him. So I'll go back to basic obedience training. I just applied the NILIF training to my dog in the past 3 days, and so far I have seen small improvement, which is good! He is connecting with me more.

10. summersnowbr

When we had our Great Pyrenees, I used to be a breeder, they want to accert dominance, it is in their nature to take charge. Being on the furniture, bed, etc was never allowed. Being allowed to set where you set is a sign that they are moving higher up on the pecking order if you have a dominate dog. Also when entering and exiting the house make sure you and all humans leave first teach him the wait command. This is very important if your dog is dominate by nature. Also, I would recommend you do obedience training where there are other dogs being trained at the same time. That way he will learn how to interact with other dogs and people while learning. Keep working with him. Remember training goes every day even in your walks. Make him set at every street corning, sit when you talk to anyone. Teach him the side command and that is where he should stay while you talk to anyone. Good luck with him the end result will be wonderful.

11. Herbie

Herbie New Member

Thank you for the suggestion :) I going back to basic obedience training now and becoming more strict, since I was treating more like a baby, rather than a dog. But one step at a time, and I see quite the difference in him! So thank you for your comment and encouragement :)

12. toan365

toan365 New Member

Cảm ơn bạn rất nhiều vì đã gợi ý của bạn! Tôi sẽ thử phương pháp này cho chắc chắn. Khi bạn đang đào tạo chó của bạn, bạn có sử dụng dây xích cũng như để kiểm soát con chó của bạn? [/ QUOTE Tôi không sử dụng dây buộc ở tất cả. Tôi thấy nó theo cách này .... khi tôi huấn luyện con chó của tôi (bên trong) Tôi muốn các con chó để muốn làm vui lòng tôi. Điều với dây xích cho các loại hình thay đổi hành vi là các con chó sẽ không làm điều đó bởi vì anh muốn nhưng vì anh đã đến. Tôi muốn tập luyện con chó của tôi để xem tôi chỉ đạo. Tôi muốn con chó của tôi để MUỐN để làm hài lòng tôi rất ALL đào tạo được thực hiện 100% vui vẻ. Nếu nó không phải là niềm vui đối với tôi không có niềm vui của nó cho con chó hoặc. Khi tôi sử dụng những dây xích cho đào tạo tôi không sử dụng nó để điều khiển chó tôi sử dụng nó như một trang trí lol Nó làm việc rất nhiều để đào tạo trong một cách thú vị nhưng kết quả chỉ là tuyệt vời cho các mối quan hệ giữa bạn và con chó của bạn

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016