Transitioning from puppy to adult food

Discussion in 'First Time Dog Owner and Basic Questions' started by TheMightyQuinn, Oct 15, 2016.

1. TheMightyQuinn

TheMightyQuinn New Member

Our seven-month Berner has been on Merrick Grain Free Puppy since we transitioned him off of the BARF diet our breeder was feeding his litter. I've read lots about keeping giant breed dogs on and off puppy food, and I am just not clear on when we should make the transition to adult food. Because our breeder only supports the BARF diet, I don't have her as a resource. Any insight others have on dry kibble transitions would be so appreciated!

2. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

Normally, you switch from puppy food to adult food when the puppies growth plates have stopped growing. They normally stop after a female dog completes her first heat or a male dog matures. But if you have spayed or neutered your dog before for females, its first heat, you normally switch at that time. The reason why is dogs that are fixed normally have a reduced energy requirements. The vet can help you figure out how much to feed your dog so that it wont become over weight.

TheMightyQuinn likes this.
  3. moondoggie

moondoggie New Member

4. moondoggie

moondoggie New Member

She is adorable!!! My male is 10 months not neutred and is just now transitioning. He had alot of stomach & bowel issues since he was luttle. The best food that works for us is Solid Gold Bison,Rice & Sweet potato. The company has a great dietician to work with your vet but the bag portions are pretty accurate.

5. LeonilKyle

LeonilKyle Member

Your puppy’s nutritional needs will change as he grows into adulthood. Depending on his breed size, at some point between 12 and 24 months of age, you should reexamine your puppy's nutritional needs and choose the right adult formula. His adult food could depend upon his metabolism, and his activity level (Is it low, normal, or high?) These factors can help you find the ideal food for your dog.